Saturday, October 1, 2011

"That's life in a hostel, sweetheart." Köln overview

Since I'm still in Köln and don't have my computer, I'm just going to write this up quickly on my iPhone. Promise I'll catch up when I'm back in Brussels!!

I've heard of a lot of people being really afraid of staying in youth hostels. I'm here to tell you that, if you do the right research, there is nothing to be afraid of! Here's the scoop on hostel living, based on my experience at Köln's Black Sheep Hostel.

First of all, look at the hostel like freshman year of college: you have anywhere between 1 and 5 roommates you have never met. There are lockers in all the rooms where you can lock up the stuff you're afraid your roommates (or their guests) might steal. There is generally a mix of men and women in the rooms, but there was one women only room in the place.

The room for showers was also for both men and women, but the women's restroom also had showers. Don't know about the men's but I'm assuming the same is true.

The coolest thing about hostel living is meeting the coolest people around your own age from all over the world. This is best done in the common area, where the computer with Internet access, the fridge, and an assortment of couches are. It's where breakfast is served in the morning and where you hang out. I made friends with some really interesting people from all over Europe, Brazil, Canada, Russia, and even someone from America! You learn everyone has a story, and it's usually really interesting.

So, want to book a hostel for your next trip? Go to Hostelworld and look for hostels with above an 80% rating. They even have an app for iPhone and Android, and for a limited time every time you make a reservation you get redemption codes for free Skype credit! Good luck, and happy travels!





Have a question about hostels or anything else regarding study abroad? Contact me at idontdoquiet22@gmail.com. I'll always read your emails, and they might even get featured in my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment