Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bruges/ Brugge - The Mackinac Island of Belgium... Sort Of

Hey There!

Yesterday we spent the whole day in Bruges/ Brugge.   After hearing how amazing the town was, I was quite excited to go.  This is what I found:

Brugge is quite a touristy place.

Now, I don't say this in a bad way, but I was a little surprised.  The place Brugge reminded me of the most was Mackinac Island back in Michigan.  You know, the little island between the peninsulas with no cars, 12 fudge shops and no dentist?  That one.  Brugge was much, much older than that, though.  History is a fascinating thing.  Brugge was once the third most influential city in northern Europe!  There was a lot of Catholic history too.  For us, though, it was a day of eating lots of good food, a brewery tour complete with free beer, and taking some amazing pictures!  Speaking of pictures, I'm going to start a Flikr album soon and will post a link here.  For now, though, I'd love to hear your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment