Saturday, November 12, 2011

Den Haag and Amsterdam, a.k.a. my future home

Hi everyone!  Sorry I haven't written in awhile, but as you'll see over these couple of posts it's just been one thing after another!

This is the first of three new posts I am going to write this weekend. These events took place 12 October through 16 October.

Wow, was it COLD this week!  Note to self: ALWAYS bring a coat with you when you go to the Netherlands. Even if weather.com says it's going to be in the 50s and 60s and sunny.  However, despite being cold, The Hague (Den Haag) was beautiful!  It's a historic old town in the Netherlands and for a peace and justice nerd like me, it's where everything is happening.  We toured EuroJust, the International Criminal Court (ICC), and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).  We met with several important members of these organizations and were privileged to watch part of a court case at the ICC!  I made the decision that I wanted to work for EuroJust when I am out of school, which is an organization that helps European Union member states cooperate regarding organized crime cases - like the human trafficking cases I hope to tackle one day.

After Den Haag, we had a long weekend where most of us went to Amsterdam.  Unfortunately, I was quite sick and had no voice for the whole weekend.  We did, however, get to see a lot of Amsterdam.  We did go through the Red Light District, which was remarkably open and easy to stumble upon.  My friends considered me strange for wondering about the lives of the women in the windows.  Where did they come from?  Did they want to be here?  Did they get to keep their money, or does it all go to someone else?  Do they have families?  Children?  Do their parents know what they have to do?  What are their dreams?  My friends just shook their heads and reminded me that it doesn't matter in their profession.  If you agree with me, however, then I have three book recommendations for you.  Chicken: A Self-Portrait of a Young Man For Rent is a book written by David Henry Sterry about his terrifying experience in the sex trade in southern California.  Hos, Hookers, Call Girls, and Rent Boys is an anthology of stories of professionals writing on life, love, money and sex.  It was put together by David Henry Sterry as well.  Finally, Working Sex is another anthology by Annie Oakley.  They are great books and are all true.  One work of fiction that is also quite relevant is called On Black Sisters' Street.

Also in Amsterdam, we saw the Amsterdam History Museum.  Amsterdam's history of economic wealth and tolerance was astounding!  The museum was in a building that had been used as an orphanage until the museum opened in 1975.  It was impressively modern and interesting.  My hostel in Amsterdam was the Flying Pig Beach Hostel, located about an hour outside Amsterdam right on a beach.  It was great fun and a nice facility.  Overall, the trip to the Netherlands was a fascinating experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment